Friday, February 27, 2009

Civilisation at last!

Having heard the sweet sound of the half-time whistle, I have returned home for a brief respite before I head back overseas. I have been keeping a fairly low profile, just enjoying the break. I have taken advantage of the myriad of luxuries that have been unavailable for the past few months, mostly beer and a great variety of products that were formerly a pig. Ham, bacon, pork, prosciutto and any other porcine products are being consumed with great gusto in preparation for the second half.

I am also enjoying becoming reacquainted with Sharpe Jr, Mrs Sharpe, and the dishlickers. It is really quite surreal to be back in Australia in my home with the family. I still have a momentary double-take when I wake up. I guess I’ll just be used to being here when I have to turn around and go back. The dishlickers went into a happiness frenzy when I walked in the door, lots of running about in circles whining with tails going so fast they were in danger of achieving flight. Sharpe Jr took a little longer to warm up, although that was only to be expected. Mrs Sharpe is very happy, although at the same time knows that it will be short lived and I will have to go away again soon.

One of the great, although slightly disturbing pleasures, is to walk into a supermarket. The range of products just fills me with joy. I keep walking up the aisle finding things and thinking “Gee, if only I could get that overseas!” I am also enjoying driving on the correct side of the road from the right side of the car. It is also novel not having to pick the route of least discomfort through the sand and potholes whilst dodging donkeys, goats, and the locals (the latter often riding the former).

To those who have been sending messages of support, and especially to those who have sent care packages, I thank you. BOAB will be pleased to know that his parcel was a hit. The iced tea he sent was a particular favourite, and was shared out appropriately.

Things will be tense when I get back. There are political/strategic moves afoot that will have a big impact locally. It should keep me busy enough. The second half, by design, will be shorter that the first, so I am now over the “hump”. I also have a little more leave to take, which I will take locally, by which I mean that I will take advantage of being in that part of the world to visit some people and places that would otherwise be unaffordable and imminently impractical.
I still try and follow what goes on in the rest of the world, so keep up the good fight, and keep your powder dry.

5 comments:

bikeonaboy said...

Did the 2nd package ever arrive?

We've discovered that Junior likes to drink iced tea, so there might be a bit more of that when you get back.

I had a visit last year from a mate who has been living in Iran. I took him to the local supermarket, and he started drooling - he normally does a monthly flight to Dubhai to stock up on goodies that they don't have available locally, like 20kg bags of flour and 4 litre drums of cooking oil and so on. He'd forgotten what it was like to live in a rich, western country.

kae said...

Boy told me about the iced tea.
Glad to hear you're back with the family for a while.
Half way, huh? It should go by quickly, shouldn't it?

WV: grabing

arrgh!

Anonymous said...

“Gee, if only I could get that overseas!” I am also enjoying driving on the correct side of the road from the right side of the car.

OK, so it's 'serving' with a whiteboard marker and not nearly as dangerous, but I know the feeling, lol!

Glad you're enjoying the stay.

bingbing said...

A bit O/T but happy ANZAC day, and thanks for what you do.

kae said...

Hmm
Are you back yet?