Thursday, November 13, 2008

I am an abused husband

I must be. I’ve just this evening been diagnosed with “Burnt Chop Syndrome”.
Apparently, Burnt Chop Syndrome is a rallying cry for Feminazis that holds that should an oppressed wife manage to burn one or two of the chops whilst cooking, she will serve them to herself to avoid patriarchal criticism. This is a behaviour is passed from mother to daughter, reinforcing gender stereotypes of a woman’s subservient role to her husband.

Whilst fulfilling my role as oppressed husband this evening, I was relegated to preparing the evening meal. I was cooking some delicious lamb on the BBQ, when some of the fat dripped onto the little bricks under the grill that are quite deliberately designed to catch such dripping. The fat then caught fire, adding to the smoky BBQ goodness. Unfortunately, the two chops directly above my sizzling fat fire became what my father sometimes referred to as “carbon enhanced”. Rather than admit I’d ducked inside to tend to the vegies when I should have been maintaining my vigil at the BBQ, I served myself the offending chops. Mrs Sharpe noticed that some of my meat was a little darker than hers, and then filled me in on the whole “Burnt Chop Syndrome” thing.

I was just being polite. I cooked the meal. I left the meat untended. It was my fault it was a little black. Why would I then pass on my mistake onto her? Is “Burnt Chop Syndrome” really a symptom of an oppressive patriarchal society, or just good old fashioned manners?

3 comments:

Boy on a bike said...

You bugger it, you eat it.

Actions have consequences. If you depart your sacred duty at the BBQ to deal with girlie issues like "salad", then you must live with the consequences.

I notice you said "veggies" rather than 'salad'. 'Salad' would of course imply that you are gay, or have developed an enormous bald spot from being under the thumb.

Next you'll be telling us that you BBQ in a pink apron.

kae said...

LOL Boy
One day I'll tell you about fried eggs and rotten eggs...

Margo's Maid said...

I am a very compassionate person with an enormous capacity for eating burnt chops...